Saturday, September 8, 2012

Real Friendship

 
Over 10 years ago I ran into a lonely old lady who happened to be best friends with one of my friends moms. This woman was in her 60s at the time. She was living alone in a small apartment.Little by little I started getting in touch with her. We didnt have cellphones back then.So I would page her and she would call me on my family'slandline phone as soon as she had time. I sympathized with her for being a lonely old woman in a big city. I wanted to take care of her and show her that she wasnt alone. That someone out there actually loves her and cares for her.
 
Over time we became best friends and our friendship got stronger,but there is always an ending to every happy or sad story and the ending of ours was a sad one! It turned out that she was suffering from cancer and that it spread to her liver. It reached an advanced stage that couldnt be treated.the doctors told her that there was nothing they could do about it. she flew back to Florida to be with her sister till it was time to go. I didnt get to see her before she left because i had gotten a job at far away city and we couldnt see each other for a while.it was during that time that things started falling apart on her side.
 
Anyway, I talked to her once over the phone but after that she was unconscious till her last day. that woman died but her sweet memories didnt. I still remember all the great times we spent together and the places we worked at together.she taught me the real meaning of friendship. I miss her so much.I cry sometimes when i think about the person who was the closest person to my heart, the one who felt for me more than anyone else in this world, but the only thing that keeps me patient is the hope that I will see her again in the hearafter in Heaven.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment